Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thursdays with Rachel: Thou Want What Thou Can't Have

In order to keep the blog regular (and to not bore all of you with my random, messy thoughts), I'm keeping my posts to once a week, on Thursdays. And so we begin.

Today, I was pondering this thought in my head. Everybody wants something. Single people want love. People with bad grades wish they could be more studious. Brunettes have a time when they wish they were blondes. You catch my drift with these generalizations, but the point is, people want the opposite of what they have, a lot of the time. But if they don't, they want something, and I've found that it is often the case that people want what is off limits.

Me, of all people, understands the attraction to something rebellious. I'll admit, I've had my fair share of admiration for things that are bad for me, partially because of that fact alone. What you cannot have automatically becomes irresistible. The girl with a boyfriend suddenly starts to stand out to the boy that never would have glanced twice before. The red velvet cupcake that was never your taste becomes appetizing as soon as someone else buys the last one. The dance you aren't allowed to attend is suddenly the social event of the year in your head. Face it, being unattainable is a damn good quality.

But why is this? Is there a biological reason why humans, the complex creatures that we are, don't have the common sense to enjoy what is in our reach, instead of hoping for that which is out of our league? Shouldn't we have the reasoning skills to know that it will only lead to disappointment and heartbreak? Or perhaps we already know these things, and are just stubborn enough to keep on chugging along with the dream. I believe we can all attest to being guilty of such a thing at one point in our lives...

So I'm beginning to wonder if there is an answer to this problem. If people never are allowed to dream wild and crazy for things, life would be very boring. You know that without that single, love-crazed friend in your life, you'd have one less person to poke fun at but adore for their ambition to find someone. If you got every little thing that you wanted, you'd probably start to appreciate less things, because getting stuff wouldn't be as special. And really, wouldn't the world be a frightening place if absolutely everything went our way and was perfect? Okay, it might be nice for a while, but then, I know I'd even start to get bored.

I'm not sure if I'll ever stop wishing for a few select things, even though I'm fully aware they're about as out there as out there can get. Some part of my heart will always hope that I will end up marrying a Jonas Brother, and we will live in a castle with ponies and a pool filled with strawberry Jell-O. But I think that's okay, because it only adds to the spice of life. While I may not know a lot about the way life works, and whether or not everyone's dreams will find a way to their reality, I am fairly certain of one fact.

To quote the Rolling Stones, I'll leave you with this last tidbit of wisdom. You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well you just might find, you get what you need.

Infinite xoxo,
R

No comments:

Post a Comment